Thursday, January 31, 2008

Perspective from the backseat

THE FOLLOWING IS A MESSAGE FROM JEFF FRUM:

This is my first trip to Kenya so my anticipation of adventure was high. Especially traveling with two veterans, Dan Hamer and Steve Rutenbar. I never could've prepared myself for our journey on the backroads from Eldoret to Kitale. Steve warned us there were roadblocks the entire 50 mile stretch so as a good rookie would do in the back seat - I had my camera ready. Five minutes into our journey we slowed to drive over downed powerlines and around fires set to block the road. Stonic, our driver, a fearless Masai warrior, contined to navigate this dangerous stretch. I looked out to the left and saw a mob running toward our car upset that we passed their obstacles. I thought - this would be great picture - after I snapped the photo Steve yelled back at me, "Put the camera away!". I'm thinking I could've used that information a few minutes ago!The mob completely surrounded our car and began climbing onto the vehicle. I looked at Dan and wondered if this was it. Dan with his dry humor asked Steve, "Was it like this when you came this morning?". We began wondering if we had offended Steve in any way because it sure seemed like he was trying to get us killed! All joking aside, God intervened through the amazing courage of Stonic and through the compassion of Steve as they talked us through more than a dozen roadside confrontations. I saw angry men carrying machettes, bows and arrows, wood planks with nail spikes, and rocks charging our truck for three hours.In a strange way it is such a blessing to get out of Orange County where my pace of life often prevents me from seeing God at work. He is doing miracles in the hearts of Kenyans - I was a witness of that today!

2 comments:

  1. Ok Steve - this adventure now offically places the legendary Ukraine train epsiode into the amateur division!
    So many prayers from all your circles of friends travel with you guys today.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pasor Steve, Jeff and Dan,
    Our Breakout class is praying for everything and everyone over there. Charles and Thomas, Kevin and Derek always bring up in prayer in class. May God bring you back safely.
    I will email class tonight to say some more prayers for all of you.
    God Bless........Miss DeeDee

    ReplyDelete