Saturday, February 9, 2008

speechless



There's always that ONE kid...

There's absolutely no explaining why one kid in particular catches your eye...and your heart...but it always seems to happen.

It's not that he is the smallest or the skinniest or the saddest...It's not that she is the prettiest or the smartest or the one with the sweetest smile.

Only God knows how the face of a Kenyan street kid can etch it's image so deeply into my mind and my life... but here I am, back home in the OC, at 3 in the morning, looking at this little boy's face just as clearly as if he was sitting here in front of me.

But the truth is...he's not here.He's still in a refugee camp in Cherengany.

I'm sleeping in my Dove Canyon home...he's sleeping under a tarp.
I have my wife by my side...he's surrounded by 7 other kids who have no idea who he is.
I have sheets and pillows and blankets...he stays warm by curling up close to the nearest child.
I have the love of my family and friends...he has no one to love him or to tuck him in or to kiss him goodnight.
If I'm thirsty, I simply get a drink of water...he has to wait in line for hours to get a cup of dirty well water.
I have a restroom to privately use when I need it...he shares one of the five public latrines with 22,000 people.
I can't even remember the last time I was really hungry...hunger is his constant shadow.
I stayed with him for a couple days...he may be there for months.

It's not the nights where I sit and see his face so clearly, in my memory, that bothers me. It's the thought that in a few months I will try as hard as I can to conjure up the memory of that face...but it will be lost...Replaced by an image on ESPN or a commercial on TV or a new titanium golf club...or my busy schedule.Even though I'll be back at the camp in a few weeks, chances are, I may never be able to find him...I don't even know his name.

But I know Someone who does...and He never forgets...

7 comments:

  1. Dear Steve,
    I can't imagine the culture shock... or the just plain ol' shock of what you've gone through over the past month... but even more shocking is what man continues to do to man...
    I'm glad you are home, with Connie and blankets...
    And I ache for the children and families, and people in general, who are in the midst of such horror.
    Not just in Kenya - but in so many places - in different types of grief and fear - speechless is a good word for it.
    And grateful that when we don't have the words, the Spirit Himself intervenes with groans and grace.
    Welcome home, friend.
    Thank you for allowing us to know more about your journey.
    Thank you for being God's hands and feet - even in Dove Canyon : )
    Love ya,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me...it is seeing the faces night and day in my mind of 150 kids that I not only know the names of...I know THEM. I want to be with them....laughing and playing. I want to be sitting outside of that little blue and white shack of a building that serves as a school...teaching one more kids to really GET long division. I grieve for Kenya...and maybe it is selfish...but, I also grieve for my personal of time with the children I love so much. May God heal Kenya....and soon.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve, Thanks for being Jeff's tour guide on his first trip to Kenya. He loved it, and I am grateful for his opportunity. Is there any way we can get blankets and shoes to the kids at the refugee camp quickly? Sister Freda said their feet need shoes to protect them from the jigger bugs too. Let us know. Jeff and Joy Frum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    I have been praying for my brothers and sisters in Kenya since I first heard about the unrest. I will continue to ask God to protect His people.

    Blessings,
    Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so...know what you mean and how you feel. My last mission trip to Kazakhstan left me like that and i HAD to DO something. It was that sweet face that led us to our sweet Gabby who know lies asleep in a HOME with a mom and dad and sister instead of a run down orphanage.I struggle with the fact its so easy for use to forget what we saw and felt. I so wish everyone could see and smell and feel outside this bubble we call the OC. Thanks for all your doing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pastor Steve,
    Those big brown eyes & beautiful face remind me of my very own Ty & my heart aches for this child and the other 6,000 displaced kids at Cherengani Camp. I am always so humbled by your servants heart & willingness to GO whenever and wherever The Lord leads - regardless of the circumstance!
    Thanks for your presence @ Cherengani Camp in the midst of this conflict. Just being there spoke volumes to all who were there. They knew that they were not forgotten... there were still people out there who genuinely cared about their plight and were willing to leave the safety & comforts of their own homes and come pray & stand with them in their greatest time of need. I just want to take a moment to also thank Dan, Jeff, Stonic, Alan, Sr. Freda, Geoffrey, Juma, Jason, James...and the countless others who unselfishly, & consistently give of themselves. Thank you all for your passion, compassion & love for ALL of God's children.
    We love you Pastor Steve & pray for Peace & continued blessings for you & your family as you continue to bless those you come in touch with, both in my beautiful homeland of Kenya and around the world.

    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW...Steve that was beautifully put. It brought me to tears...my heart is breaking for this child....and the many more just like him.

    ReplyDelete