Thursday, August 28, 2008

FEEDING PROGRAM at KIPSONGO





When you enter the broken backdoor at Pastor John’s Caanon Church in Kipsongo Slums, you immediately are greeted by 200 + tiny chocolate faces.

The number of kids is deceiving because, frankly, they are so very little and only take up a few rows in the wood and mud building. Then you start counting...

The daily feeding program supplies 2 meals for kids between 1 and 3 years of age and in most cases it is the ONLY food they will ever see.

Their moms are nowhere to be found…maybe scavenging for something of some worth in the dump…maybe drinking ‘changa’, the local brew…maybe worse…much worse.

Their dads, if they were EVER around, are long gone…off to Lodwar…off to town…just off…permanently off.

We brought two 90 kilo bags of maize and beans…a good mix of carbs and protein…along with cooking oil and ugali, a Kenya staple, sugar and rice for future days.

Allison, Caroline, Chris, Daina, and Megan jumped right in and began serving…and cuddling…and hanging with these very sweet kids.

Not one bean or kernel of maize remained an hour later…

No ‘finnecky’ eaters in this group.

I like feeding kids…they are so dang happy to be with you and so grateful for whatever comes their way.

“For I was hungry and you fed me; I was thirsty and you gave me water…”

Matthew 25:35

1 comment:

  1. HI Pastor Steve,

    Sorry for posting this question but I have no other contact measures. I worked with Sister Freda and yourself about three weeks ago in one the mobile clinics. I have lost Sister Freda's email address and am wondering if you could send it to me or ask her to email me. My email is mishellkerr@hotmail.com.
    Thank you so much for your help. Hope all is well.

    Michelle Kerr

    ReplyDelete