Sunday, July 12, 2009

FIELD(s) of DREAMS

Want to know the recipe for a successful summer leadership institute?
Start with a big helping of Torie Fields.
This little dynamo from BIOLA UNIVERSITY is a minister's dream, because she is always seeing things from a shepherd's perspective.

It doesn't hurt to have Cathy and Doug Fields as your mom and dad...and Cassie and Cody as your sibs...but I've seen lots of kids from GREAT families who just don't ever move from the 'Christian life of my family' to 'my own journey with the Lord'.
Torie is helping me and Chris Wohlers this summer with our PEACE RELIEF Summer Leadership Intitute...that's alot of words to say...'go to Kitale Kenya and do what God tells you to do'. 
Torie's summer has been a mix of teaching and encouraging, fingernail polish and wool blankets, 2 hour conversations with street girls and hugs to homeless moms. 
You can ask her how she perfected the tribal soccer dance called the 'Twanga-Twanga' but I'm sure Delia, Casey, Lyndsey and Caroline have something to do with it.
And in West Pokot she is known as the muzungu who CAN count to 10.
Torrie and Delia have been mentoring and teaching a group of former streetkids, known as the 'Mercy Girls', at Purpose Driven Academy...a Christian primary and secondary school for 450 kids at Deliverance Church. PDA is run by our dear friend Margaret Wanyonyi and is an extension of the ministries of Pastor Moses Wanyonyi and the Deliverance Church team. His church has been one of the great spiritual harbors for our Kenya teams over the past 12 years serving in the Rift Valley. When Torie and Delia and Sammy walk on the campus...pandemonium breaks out.

It was on a long-ago AWAKENING trip that God began stirring in Torie's heart about becoming an advocate for:
  • reaching out to the lost
  • encouraging and modeling servant leadership
  • creatively and effectivelyhelping folks rise from poverty
  • caring for the suffering sick
  • and helping folks find a path to educate themselves
that's PEACE...no matter what anyone tells you...


3 comments:

  1. Wow! I love reading about Torie and the amazing things she is doing. Her smile says it all. Please tell her hi!
    Sandy Grant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Steve...please tell Torie how proud I am of her and say hello to Sammy for me!!! They all look so happy serving and I wish I were right along side them! I am sure that I know the lady with the pink scarf on her head...I will never forget her eyes. Where was that taken? Blessings to all those who are serving Him!!

    ReplyDelete