Friday, February 1, 2008

From Rwanda


Stonic---Allen

Folks, oh how my heart was overwhelmed with joy when I heard the amazing news (detailed below by Steve) of the way our Lord provided safety for Allen and Stonic! Let us forge ahead, fervent in prayer and steadfast in hope in our Lord as our hearts cry out to Emmanuel for Kenya.


-Megan


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I was sitting on my flight from Nairobi to Kigali, Rwanda and thinking...."How messed-up are things in the world when I'm fleeing from murderous tribal clashes and escaping to the safety of...RWANDA."

When I get back home, I'll look the definition of IRONIC and it may just list this scenario.

I'm sitting in my room now, in Rwanda, SAFE but definitely NOT SOUND, trying my hardest to sort through the events of the last few days...and where God has led and how He has answered prayers.

GOOD NEWS...no GREAT NEWS...

Stonic and Allen patched together another pass at a back road passage to Eldoret and MADE IT SAFELY. They were allowed on a transport plane to Nairobi, filled with terrified families, but made it back to their wives after 2 days of 'riding out the storm' at our compound in Kitale. A 90 minute drive under normal conditions turned into 6 hours of roadblocks and side journeys.

THANK YOU ALL FOR PRAYING FOR THESE GUYS....

Each of these faces and voices have flashed before me in the most dramatic last few days, and then suddenly I'm sitting here at 3 am trying to make sense of all we've been through.



Sister Freda
Geoffrey from Oasis of Hope
James
Juma
Ben and Christine
The kids of Tumaini < Tumaini
Moses and Margaret
Butaki
Jason
Andrews mom, in the ditch (some things just never change)
Baby Moses
Patricia Sawa
Stephen Mairori
Peter
Lilac
Jacinta
Charles and Thomas...and Joseph
The inmates at Kitale prison
The kids from Mercy
And many, many more...



Pity Jeff Blum, who Dan Hamer brought to observe the plight of two GLUE BOYS, Charles and Thomas. This was Jeff's 1st mission to Africa and a few times, when we were surrounded by angry mobs with bows and rocks and machetes, I wondered if Jeff would venture out of the OC EVER AGAIN. Jeff is a champ. When Dan Hamer called from Nairobi last week and asked, " uhm, Steve, is it really safe to go to Kitale right now?" I didn't honestly know how God would get us through to Jeff and him, but I knew Dan wanted in the worst way to see his kids.
Stonic was unbelievable at every turn and crisis.



I had intended for this blog to be a couple paragraphs whenever I could splice together a message to Megan, and she has turned out to be such a blessing to me (and all of you).
Thanks Megan, I know how much you wanted to be here and how much effort and time this took in the midst of your last semester of your senior year of journalism school...I owe you big time...



In the next couple days I'm going to link a YOU TUBE entry to this blog so you can see some of the places the Lord has taken me in the past few day..And we'll all get together and pray for the future of Kenya....God save her...



" to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power, ...to Him be GLORY" Ephesians 3:20



Now I'm going to try and sleep for the first time in a few days.





-Steve

12 comments:

  1. Pastor Steve,

    Thank you so much for the blog updates so we could be a small part of your journey. It's a real blessing to many of us whose hearts are in Kenya to get to read your first hand accounts.

    I'm sure our friends and partners in ministry were very encouraged by your visit. May the Lord bless you and guide you as you begin to process everything that you've experienced and as He reveals where He is working in Kenya and how He wants you to join Him.

    I look forward to hearing more when you get back. Have a safe journey home, although it will probably be a breeze compared to the earlier parts of this trip.

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pastor Steve,

    Thank you so much for the blog updates so we could be a small part of your journey. It's a real blessing to many of us whose hearts are in Kenya to get to read your first hand accounts.

    I'm sure our friends and partners in ministry were very encouraged by your visit. May the Lord bless you and guide you as you begin to process everything that you've experienced and as He reveals where He is working in Kenya and how He wants you to join Him.

    I look forward to hearing more when you get back. Have a safe journey home, although it will probably be a breeze compared to the earlier parts of this trip.

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Steve,

    Thank you so much for the blog updates so we could be a small part of your journey. It's a real blessing to many of us whose hearts are in Kenya to get to read your first hand accounts.

    I'm sure our friends and partners in ministry were very encouraged by your visit. May the Lord bless you and guide you as you begin to process everything that you've experienced and as He reveals where He is working in Kenya and how He wants you to join Him.

    I look forward to hearing more when you get back. Have a safe journey home, although it will probably be a breeze compared to the earlier parts of this trip.

    Jana

    ReplyDelete
  4. you go steve!

    always in our hearts and prayers with thanksgiving.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve,

    Thanks for the contiuued details of your trip. We are all praying for you and anxiously await each time to hear that you are OK and still moving forward to help the people of Kenya. This morning's news in the U.S. doesn't sound good so extra prayers today for all of your safety and that you can make some progress in the direction of PEACE for all!!

    Blessings to you today!!!

    Lisa Foto

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve, Your Heart is on Your Sleeve. God has blessed you with an extremely power-filled way to communicate with words...and where your heart is reflects God's love like the mirror of Him you are. Lani's and my prayers are always with you and the people of Kenya. I only wish I could be with you right now on this adventure into the hearts of others to capture reflections of God's love even within the confines of all this horrific disaster. Hug Stonic for us for keeping you all safe. He's the best! Jack and Lani Barry

    ReplyDelete
  7. Steve:
    Having been to Kenya with you 4 times, my heart goes out to the hurting people there. You have been in our prayers and constant thoughts. You are an example of Jesus to everyone.

    Praying for you,
    Randy and Shelly Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  8. From Manila, Philippines / Harold & Darlene Sala

    Hi Steve (and brothers Stonic and Allan)... not only are we praying daily for you and all our friends there but this morning I spoke at CCF (Peter Tanchi's church) and talked about the situation at Kenya. Hopefully many will pray as well. Back in the U.S. soon. Glad your gardian angels were alert! Harold and Darlen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pastor Steve, thanks so much for keeping us updated so we can pray specifically for needs and praise God for His amazing provision. I am thrilled to see that Stonic and Allen made it safely, and that you all made it safely to and from Kenya. I look forward to reading more about Rwanda, and catching up with you in person when you get home. We may not understand all that is happening, but we can trust that God is good.

    Blessings,
    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Steve,

    Thank you for including us in your journey. It is an honor and privelege to join you in prayer!

    The Lord was able to show the people His love as you "slept" amongst them in their "camp".
    I am so grateful to hear that you and Stonic & company are all in relatively safe places. Yes, who would have thought that "Hotel Rwanda" would end up being a safe haven for people of other countries?

    God's ways are definitely, infinitely way above and beyond our comprehension and imagination.

    You,your crew, the children and people of Kenya are on my mind and in my heart. When I think of any of you, I bow my heart and lift you before God's throne. I have an image of His tangible "throne" in Kenya as a fortress in places like refugee camps, back roads and small planes. I'm sure that as you are walking and living amidst the pain, you are truly being His hands and feet.

    You are loved. By God, your family, your church family, Kenyans, and me. Thank you for your faithfulness and courage.

    PEACE be with you!
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steve,
    I am blessed every day when I read your emails. You took me to Kenya in January 2006 and I haven't been the same since. I see many names on the comments that I recognize and the pictures just take me back. I am devestated at all the suffering our Kenyan brothers and sisters are experiencing. You are so loved and you are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Tamara...Gloria, Ressonyia, Debbie and JoLynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, this list brought tears to my eyes. I can't wait to go and see these faces and hold these hands...
    Thank you for all of the help you have and will give me to make God's call in my life a reality!

    ReplyDelete